Consultation on Changing our Published Admission Number (PAN)
St Stephen’s CE Primary School has now begun the formal process to reduce the number of places from September 2022 and wishes to consult with you on this proposal. The Governing Body is proposing to reduce the Published Admission Number (PAN) from the current 45 pupils per year group to 30 pupils per year group.
Reasons for the proposed change:
- In 2016, the PAN was raised to 45 to accommodate a significant rise in the birth rates in 2011 and 2012. Information published by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) shows that the number of births since then had decreased year on year since then resulting in a surplus of primary school places nationally;
- A large portion of funding received by schools is directly related to the number of pupils attending the school. Too many vacancies mean that schools will not receive the maximum possible revenue and therefore the Governing Body is proposing to reduce the number of available places to enable the school to operate more efficiently and cost effectively;
- Our school has not admitted more than 30 students since 2018 and is currently below number in the majority of year groups in EYFS and KS1;
- Reducing the PAN to 30 secures our school as a one-form entry school and reduces the risk of needing to have split aged classes;
- The total number of pupils from Reception to Year 6 on our roll is 244 and is well below the current PAN of 295;
- Reduced numbers will enable us to know our students even better, thus facilitating continuing school improvement.
We will be consulting with all of our stakeholders from Wednesday, 25th November, 2020 until Tuesday, 19th January, 2021.
Following the consultation, Governors will meet to consider the views and make a decision on whether or not to proceed with the proposal.
If you have any comments you wish to make in respect of this proposal, please forward them to:
Mrs J S Parsons at St Stephen’s CE Primary School, Colville Dr, Bury BL8 2DX or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Comments should be received no later than 3pm on 19th January, 2021
CLICK HERE to see the proposed policy